General Education Petition

Testing for General Education Courses

  1. General updates about testing during Winter and Spring/Summer are posted at this link:
  2. CLEP Testing alternatives are available from departments. Advisors will be asked to vouch for a student before they may register to take these exams. Students will contact them with a request to indicate to their departmental contact that they need to take a test for graduation or placement purposes this semester. Details are available at this link:
  3. Math testing information coming soon. 
  4. Please email the Testing Office for questions at

The General Education Petition process is available for students who are seeking a waiver or substitution for a university-level General Education requirement. In order to submit a waiver with regard to General Education Requirements, students must:

  1. Meet with either (a) an advisor to review this form and discuss your case or (b) a Disability Specialist in the Student Disability Services office to discuss supporting documentation if you are a student registered with SDS or if you suspect you might have a disability that is relevant to this petition. If a disability pertinent to this petition can be documented, SDS will act as the advisor for this petition.
  2. Advisors: Complete the form and attach all supporting documentation* by following the link below. Advisors will inform the student of the disposition of the appeal by email. Please check the following site for updates in regards to new general education requirements: WSU New General Education Updates

Submit ONE form per student. Please combine attachments into one file prior to uploading.


General Education Petition Form


*Attaching syllabi, copies of course descriptions or direct links can expedite the process. 

Transfer students: Wayne Experience (WE) will be automatically waived if a student transfers a minimum of 24 credits to WSU. Advanced Placement (AP) tests, International Baccalaureate (IB) tests, CLEP exams, High School Dual Enrollment and Early/Middle College do not count towards waiving WE.

NOTE: Petition requests must be submitted through the form.  Oral requests are not accepted. All information regarding the student's petition, including the decision regarding the waiver, is private information. Therefore, information about the waiver will not be given out over the phone.   

Explore data via interactive visualizations for General Education Petitions

Contact Marlena Frontera at 313-577-0167 or for questions.