Academic policy

Academic policies at Wayne State include, but are not limited to, the course review process, course approvals and student academic appeals. 

Appeal Procedures, College/School Grade

Students should first seek to settle grade disputes informally with the instructor. Each College and School has established formal grade appeal procedures. These procedures are available from the Dean's Office of the College or School. In most instances, formal grade appeals must be filed within thirty days of the time the student has or should have received his/her final grade. 

Appeal Procedure, Academic

In matters where a College's signed final decision is based upon the evaluation of a student's academic performance, and when review procedures available to him/her within the College have been exhausted, the student may request the Provost to review that decision on the record. A written Request for a Provost Review must be made by the student himself/herself, with a copy to the Dean of the College, postmarked within thirty calendar days of the postmark of the College's final decision, which is to be sent to the address provided by the student in the College's review procedures. The Provost's review of the College's decision will proceed as soon as practicable after notification by the student of his/her wish to seek review. 
The student may also file with the Provost a Request for a Postponement of the effect of the College's final decision. Such a Request must be postmarked within seven calendar days of the postmark of the College's final decision, and a copy must be sent to the Dean of the College. Upon receiving a Request for Postponement, the Provost will immediately contact the Dean. Unless the College demonstrates clearly and convincingly that the injury to the College or to third persons that would result from such a postponement would outweigh the injury to the student from denying the postponement, the effect of the decision rendered by the College must be postponed until the date that the Provost issues a decision regarding the underlying Request for Provost Review. The Provost will inform the student and the Dean of her/his decision regarding the Request for Postponement within three school days after receiving the request. Exceptions to this procedure may be granted by the Provost upon a showing of good and sufficient cause.

The University and each individual School or College have established formal grade appeal procedures. Please reference your appropriate school/college/program for specific grade appeal procedures. 

Appeals that rise to the level of the Office of the Provost will be handled by the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School for all Ph.D. students as well as students in the Medical School clinical program. The Associate Dean of the Graduate School will handle appeals for students in the Master's program.  All other appeals, including undergraduate students, Law School students, and students in the clinical programs in Social Work, Pharmacy, and Nursing, will be handled by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs.