Academic policies at Wayne State include, but are not limited to, the course review process, course approvals, and student academic appeals.
Appeal Procedures, College/School Grade
Students should first seek to settle grade disputes informally with the instructor. Each College and School has established formal grade appeal procedures. These procedures are available from the Dean's Office of the College or School. In most instances, formal grade appeals must be filed within thirty days of the time the student has or should have received his/her final grade. Student appeals that rise to the level of the Office of the Provost will be handled by R. Darin Ellis, Associate Provost for Academic Programs.
Appeal Procedure, Academic
In matters where a College's signed final decision is based upon the evaluation of a student's academic performance, and when review procedures available to him/her within the College have been exhausted, the student may request the Associate Provost for Academic Programs to review that decision on the record. A written Request for a Provost Review must be made by the student himself/herself, with a copy to the Dean of the College, postmarked within thirty calendar days of the postmark of the College's final decision, which is to be sent to the address provided by the student in the College's review procedures. The Associate Provost's review of the College's decision will proceed as soon as practicable after notification by the student of his/her wish to seek review.
Please include the following:
- Written explanation addressed to R. Darin Ellis, Associate Provost for Academic Programs
- Copy of all decision letters from the school/college denying the appeal
- Any additional supporting documentation
- Send all documents electronically to email@example.com
- NOTE: All attachments must be either pdf, doc, or docx versions.
Students will receive a final decision within 30 days of submission. The letter will be the final decision in the appeal process.
The University and each individual School or College have established formal grade appeal procedures. Please reference your appropriate school/college/program for specific grade appeal procedures.
Ph.D. student appeals that rise to the level of the Office of the Provost will be handled by the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School. All other appeals, including undergraduate students, Law School students, and students in the clinical programs in Social Work, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing, will be handled by R. Darin Ellis, Associate Provost for Academic Programs.
- General University Policy on Grade Appeals (PDF)
- Role of the Ombuds Office - Academic Appeals (PDF)
- Dean of Students Office - Student Complaints
- Dean of Students Office - Academic Misconduct Procedures (PDF)
- Graduate School
- School of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering (PDF)
- Irvin D. Reid Honors College (PDF)
- Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (PDF)
- College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts
- School of Information Sciences
- School of Social Work (PDF)
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (PDF)
- Law School (Section VII, G) (PDF)
- School of Medicine
- College of Nursing (pp. 25) (PDF)
- Tuition and Fees Appeals
- Academic Bulletin
- Additional Resources (PDF)