General Education Oversight Committee
The General Education Oversight Committee is charged (2.43.230) with making recommendations to the President or her/his designee for the implementation and review of the General Education curriculum. The committee meets throughout the Fall and Winter semesters. The committee, which includes elected faculty members, as well as liaisons from the Academic Senate, the Student Senate, and the Graduate Employees Organizing Committee, is representative of the six undergraduate degree-granting schools/colleges across the University community and responsible for the following:
- Reviewing and evaluating all courses proposed for satisfying the various General Education requirements.
- Monitoring all facets of general education for the purpose of assuring that the courses have consistent goals, with clearly delineated learning outcomes that are assessed appropriately.
- Receiving and evaluating all reports required of departments and/or colleges in conjunction with implementing the various requirements of the General Education Program.
- Encouraging and promoting the goals of general education at Wayne State University and to assure that all students experience a meaningful and rigorous program of general education.
- Submitting an annual report to the Provost and the Curriculum and Instruction Committee of the Academic Senate. The report will address the assessment of the learning outcomes of the program and recommendations for program improvements.
Membership of the General Education Oversight Committee (GEOC)
- Darin Ellis, Provost's Office
Terms expiring in Winter 2023
- Anne Duggan, Professor, Classical and Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures, Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Billicia Hines, Assistant Professor, Theatre and Dance, Fine, Performing and Communication Arts
- Asli Ozgun-Koca, Professor, Teacher Education, Education
- Mary T. Rodgers, Professor, Chemistry, Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Norma Schropshire, Lecturer, Social Work
Terms expiring Winter 2024
- Moira Fracassa, Academic Service Officer IV, Pharmacy
- Jeff Horner, Sr. Lecturer, Urban Planning and Studies
- Pramod Khosla. Associate Professor, Nutrition and Food Science
- Christine Malinowski, Assistant Professor (Clinical), Nursing
- Anita Mixon, Assistant Professor, Communication
Terms expiring Winter 2025
- Jeff Grynaviski, Associate Professor, Political Science
- Manoj Kulchania, Associate Professor, Finance
- Jeremy Rickli, Associate Professor, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
- Jule Thomas, Associate Professor, English
Senate Appointees for 2022-2023
- Pynthia Caffee, Academic Staff appointee, University Advising Center
- Elizabeth Stoycheff, Faculty appointee, CFPCA
Ex-officio (with vote)
- Veronica Bielat, University Libraries
- Vivian Pendergast, Student Senate
- Sarah Walker, Graduate Employees Organizing Committee (GEOC/AFT)
General Education Oversight Assessment Subcommittee Members
- Cathy Barrette, Provost's Office
- Jennifer Hart, History
- Jennifer Wareham, Criminal Justice
- Jeffrey Grynaviski, Political Science