General Education Oversight Committee
The General Education Implementation Committee and the University-wide Educational Adjustment Committee were replaced by the General Education Oversight Committee, starting in fall 2005. The committee is charged (2.43.230) with making recommendations to the President or her/his designee for the implementation and review of the General Education curriculum. The committee meets every other Thursday from 1 - 2 pm starting September 19, 2019. The committee is representative of the University community as a whole and responsible for the following:
- Reviewing and evaluating all courses proposed for satisfying the various General Education requirements.
- Monitoring all facets of general education for the purpose of assuring that the General Education. Ensure that programs have consistent goals, with clearly delineated learning outcomes that are assessed appropriately.
- Receiving and evaluating all reports required of departments and/or colleges in conjunction with implementing the various requirements of the General Education Program.
- Encouraging and promoting the goals of general education at Wayne State University and to assure that all students experience a meaningful and rigorous program of general education.
- Submitting an annual report to the Provost and the Curriculum and Instruction Committee of the Academic Senate. The report will address the assessment of the learning outcomes of the program and recommendations for program improvements.
- GEOC Operating Guidelines and Definitions (PDF)
Membership of the General Education Oversight Committee (GEOC)
- Darin Ellis, Provost's Office
- TBD, nominated GEOC faculty member
Terms expiring in August 2020
- Stanislav Groysman, Chemistry
- Ke Zhang, Education
- Kelly Young, Communication*
- Poco Kernsmith, Social Work
- Anita Mixon, Communication
Terms expiring in August 2021
- Jennifer Olmsted, Art & Art History
- Justine Gortney, Pharmacy Practice
- Erik Carter, Nursing
- Jeff Pruchnic, English*
- Catherine Lebiedzik, Mathematics
Terms expiring in August 2022
- Aaron Retish, History
- Laura Woodward, Testing, Evaluation, and Research Services*
- Veronica Bielat, Information Sciences
- Jeffrey Grynaviski, Political Science
- Kim Morgan, Mathematics
- Farhana Aktar, Student Senate
- Thomas Fischer, Psychology, Academic Senate
- Jessica Greenwald, Communication, Academic Staff
- Sarah Walker, Graduate Employees Organizing Committee (GEOC/AFT)
- Sara Kacin, Office of Teaching and Learning
- Cathy Barrette, Provost's Office*
*General Education Oversight Assessment Subcommittee Members