Welcome to the Wayne Med-Direct website. We are a unique B.S./B.A. to M.D. program that guarantees admission to Wayne State University's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and School of Medicine for 10 students each year. We emphasize mentoring and training to help our scholars become leaders in the medical community — leaders determined to reduce urban health disparities in their communities. During undergraduate studies, Wayne Med-Direct scholars have the opportunity to engage in patient care and research. They learn about health disparities by becoming a part of the School of Medicine community, leading to Wayne State's M.D. program.
Summary of program benefits
- Admission to Wayne State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Admission to Wayne State University School of Medicine upon satisfaction of mandatory requirements*
- Four years of paid undergraduate tuition*
- Four years of paid School of Medicine tuition*
- Four years of paid undergraduate room and board in university housing*
- Cutting-edge research and field experiences with renowned faculty mentors
- Participation in summer enrichment courses/experiences
- Participation in specially designed curricular enhancements such as seminars, workshops and hands-on clinical training in the School of Medicine
- Participation in Wayne Med-Direct Learning Community focused on professional development
- Free MCAT preparation
*Fulfillment of admission requirements and scholarship award criteria applies.
I want to be an infectious disease physician because I am incredibly fascinated by the interaction of life forms, human and bacterial or viral, especially in the development of resistant strains and finding new ways to combat them. With this specialty, my career aspirations are to work in developing nations, training native doctors and learning from traditional medicine to empower people with medical education to serve their community in a more sustainable fight against global health disparities.
-Julia Chase-Wayne Med-Direct cohort 2017
- Wayne Med-Direct student's passion to learn Arabic language and culture takes him to Lebanon
- Pipeline Programs and System Reform: A Path to Improving Health Equity
- Wayne Med-Direct student wins the summer research fellowship from Penn State University to study changes in brain structure due to chronic inactivity