It takes a village to raise a child, and I firmly believe that giving back to the community that shaped me and made me who I am is an integral part of what it means to be a physician. Health disparities was a part of growing up for me, so to be able to potentially alleviate some of the struggles faced by my community would be the most rewarding part of being a physician.
-Kiswar Basith-Wayne Med-Direct cohort 2016
Wayne Med-Direct accepts 10 students each year for fall semester entry. Applications are accepted until Nov. 1 each year (for admission in the fall semester of the following year). Applications are accepted from throughout the United States. Admission to the program is by Binding Early Decision only.
To become a Wayne MedDirect scholar, you must be driven by the passion to learn about and help reduce health disparities in our communities as future leaders in the medical community. This is a unique opportunity for students who want to pursue a career in medicine.
Wayne Med-Direct evaluates candidates through a holistic admission process. To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Have a minimum 1370 SAT or 30 ACT score
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be an incoming freshman
Preference will be given to students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds who are also interested in studying health disparities.
Applications are evaluated by the Wayne Med-Direct admission committee using a holistic approach, considering the following factors:
- Academic achievements (Awards/Honors)
- Intentions of applying to Wayne Med-Direct (Why)
- Interest in learning about health disparities (How and Why)
- Socioeconomic disadvantages faced
- Leadership experiences
- Extracurricular and team activities
- Letters of recommendation from academic and community standpoints
- Health care experiences
- Community service/volunteering experiences
25 semifinalists are selected and called for an in-person interview at the Wayne Med-Direct Academic Day held on campus. 10 finalists are selected from the semifinalist pool at the interviews.
All communication is via email to the address provided in the application.
- WSU undergraduate application becomes available online — Aug. 1
- Application deadline for Wayne Med-Direct — Nov. 1 (Deadline for fall 2019 admissions is extended to Dec 1, 2018)
- All applicants are notified of a decision (selected as a semifinalist or not) — Mid-January
- Academic Day (interviews) for semifinalists — Late January-early February
- All semifinalists are notified of their admission status — One week after Academic Day
- Acceptance of offer by finalists expected — Mid-late February