It takes a village to raise a child, and I firmly believe that giving back to the community that shaped me and made me who I am is an integral part of what it means to be a physician. Health disparities was a part of growing up for me, so to be able to potentially alleviate some of the struggles faced by my community would be the most rewarding part of being a physician. -Kishwar Basith-Wayne Med-Direct cohort 2016
New admission information for Fall 2024
Wayne Med-Direct accepts 10 students each year for fall admission.
To become a Wayne MedDirect scholar, you must be driven by the passion to learn about and help reduce health disparities in our communities as future leaders in the medical community. This is a unique opportunity for students who want to pursue a career in medicine.
Wayne Med-Direct evaluates candidates through a holistic admission process. To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Have a minimum 1310 SAT or 28 ACT score
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be an incoming freshman
Preference will be given to students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds who are also interested in studying health disparities.
Applications are evaluated by the Wayne Med-Direct admission committee using a holistic approach, considering the following factors:
- Academic achievements (Awards/Honors)
- Intentions of applying to Wayne Med-Direct (Why)
- Interest in learning about health disparities (How and Why)
- Socioeconomic disadvantages faced
- Leadership experiences
- Extracurricular and team activities
- Letters of recommendation from academic and community standpoints
- Health care experiences
- Community service/volunteering experiences
25 semifinalists are selected and called for an in-person interview at the Wayne Med-Direct Academic Day held on campus. 10 finalists are selected from the semifinalist pool at the interviews.